Monday, December 26, 2005

A Real Life Non-Denominational Miracle!


Yesterday, I ended up having the following conversation with the homeless men on my corner:
me: Umm, excuse me, have you seen my bag? I know I sound crazy. It's a red bag.
homeless man #1: A red dog? nope.
me: Oh, um, no, a red BAG.
homelessman #2, to homeless man #1, aggressively: A BAG! she's looking for a bag, not a dog!!
both of them: Naw, we haven't seen it.
me: Ok, um, thanks, bye.

What led me to such a preposterous position? Here's what happened. Yesterday, I went to the gym, and had my purse inside my gym bag. Upon arriving at my front door, I opened the gym bag, then opened the purse and removed my keys. I then entered the building straight away. I got into my apartment. 10 minutes later, I look for my purse.

It's not there.

Now, remember, I had the purse when I entered the building. I looked all over my apartment, in the stairway and halllway, everywhere. It was nowhere. That's when I asked the homeless men if they'd seen it, though obviously they would have pillaged my wallet already if they had.

I now begin to panic, and use my first emergency strategy: call both of the Sarahs and Chris. Only Sarah C. picks up, the unlucky duck, and I vent for a bit, while she offers some condolence. Then I dejectedly make a sign saying, "If you find a red purse, please call this number, I'll give you a reward." I tape it in the lobby. I wander back up the stairs, tears finally welling up as I berate my carelessness and stupidity.

Then, I hear an angelic voice: "Are you Charlotte?" "YES!" I shout, running up the stairs to meet my interlocuter. It's the crazy man from next door. He found my bag on the step. And didn't touch a penny. I thank him profusely while he confirms my fear that he is a little insane, but also sweet and, in this case, my savior. We say goodbye, and later I put all the cash that had been in my wallet into a thank you card and slip it under his door.

Happy Holidays!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home