Thursday, October 20, 2005

Roaches?! Roaches.


So a long time ago, I saw the teenytiniest of miniscule bugs crawling around my bathroom. I squashed it. The next week I saw a total of about 15 of these tiny bugs, and I squashed them all. Counterintuitively, they were too small for Mr. Rupert to kill (slipped out from under his claws). Then they got slightly bigger in size, but not in multitude. Mr. Rupert joined me in the slaughter. Then they got slightly bigger in number AND size, at which point I went into state of emergency mode, and sprayed RAID over the entire bathroom, mopped and cleaned everything, and called the super (who did nothing).

They went away.

Then a few weeks ago I saw about 5 of them, all at once. They were about the same size as the last time I’d seen them, which puzzled me, as it had been a while. Maybe this was the adult size of this roach subspecies? If so, eh, they can live in my bathroom. The only reason they survive at all is because in the bathroom, there are too many odds and ends for Mister Rupert to attack them properly. I forgot about them, squashing carelessly if I happened to be wearing shoes during a sighting.

THEN, yesterday, I saw a roach. Not a baby or a mini roach, a ROACH. It had antennae, and for some reason the word “feelers” came to mind when I looked at said antennae. They waved about in the air in front of the vermin, and the vermin scurried back and forth. It was about the size of my thumb nail, maybe plus my pinky nail (and bear in mind I have freakishly small hands). Mister Rupert came in and looked at it too, and he made no move to attack. He wasn’t scared of it, but he certainly wasn’t going to attack it.

Seeing as the super was nonchalant about the murky water dripping through the bathroom ceiling (possibly quenching the thirst of the bugs?!), I’m dubious of his enthusiasm for dealing with pint-sized (Britishism used by my dad, means mini) roaches…

But I’ll try.

Accompanying picture is of a potato bug, as roaches are too gross to be in my blog. Potato bugs are gross too, but also are funny, so they get the in.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i will say, pint-sized is a generally known phrase in these parts as well. i think...

7:01 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home