Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Ode to Banquet


So, once a CD starts being sold at Urban Outfitters, and once their shows start selling out the larger venues, any respectable original fan is supposed to say something like this:
1) Oh, yeah, I liked them like 3 years ago, before they were really even a band.
2) Oh, yeah, but that album sucks. I like their new EP, which isn’t being released for 4 years but I got on vinyl from my friend in Japan.
3) Oh, yeah, I used to like them, but then I hung out with the lead singer and he was uncool.

And I know that’s what I’m supposed to be saying about Bloc Party, maybe even talking about the remix album and proclaiming its superiority. However, for the record, I would like to state that no matter how huge they get, I adore the entire album, notably Banquet. . .

Banquet is the kind of song you can listen to if you’re sad, because it will cheer you up. You can listen to it if you’re happy, as it has that edgy, exciting feel to it. You can run to it. You can listen to it right when you wake up, to get you going. You can even listen to it falling asleep, weirdly. You can listen to it on the subway, or while walking the city streets. All in all, I give it an A for versatility, and an overall A for Amazingness.

And if they start selling the album at Starbucks, I'll stand by them.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The first time I heard Bloc Party, strangely, was on the radio while running (I have an FM tuner--the AM is broken--rather than an iPod, sadly), and I enjoyed them. With your ringing endorsement, I now feel I would be justified in buying their album. Because Charlotte's Blog really is my personal arbiter of taste in music.

12:11 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

10:51 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

10:53 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home